5 effective tips to coexist with celiac disease
‘We are what we eat’ -This maxim holds true since what we eat has a direct impact on our health. A balanced diet and regular exercise is the key to good health. However, things can become quite complicated for people who wish to adopt a healthy lifestyle but are allergic to certain elements that are found in almost every food we usually consume.
One such condition that causes a significant amount of distress to people suffering from it is Celiac disease. It is more than a normal food allergy; it is an autoimmune disorder which is triggered when the individual consumes gluten. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, barley, and other grains. It is a binding protein that gives our baked foods such as bread or pasta its chewy texture. When a person suffering from celiac disease consumes gluten, their body reacts to it and damages the villi, the small projections that appear along the wall of the small intestine. When the villi are damaged, it prevents the small intestines from absorbing nutrients from food which can lead to serious consequences such as malnourishment, lower bone density, miscarriages and even infertility.
Living with celiac disease is not a piece of cake; you need to take certain measures that you remain fit and healthy despite limited choice in food. So, here are some tips that can make living with celiac disease an effortless task.
- Since gluten is found in a majority of food items, your choice of food is limited. And, the fact that you need the required quota of nutrients to function properly makes it a difficult task to decide what to eat, and what not to eat. So, it is advisable to visit a nutritionist who can chalk out a gluten-free diet for you, and make sure that your diet is rich in nutrients that your body needs.
- Partial knowledge about things can be quite dangerous. So, for living a normal life while suffering from the celiac disease would require you to acquire knowledge about the condition. Simply listening to hearsay can do more harm than good. You can use the Internet to learn about this condition from a reliable source or you must consult a specialist regarding the same.
- Living with celiac disease can be easy if you receive support from people who are suffering from similar conditions. So, join a support group where you would come in contact with people suffering from celiac disease. You can learn ways to coexist with celiac disease with the help of people who have experience in dealing with this.
- Living with celiac disease can be quite challenging, but one needs to pay attention to their health in such cases. Eating the wrong kind of food, or being stressed all the while can worsen the condition. So, exercising is a must for people with celiac disease. Not only does it help you maintain a healthy body, but it is also instrumental in reducing stress.
- The desire to give in to temptations are strong when you are surrounded by delicious fast foods everywhere. Instead of moping around, you can get creative with the available resources. Don your chef’s hat and use the Internet to look up new gluten-free recipes that can appease your taste buds.
Living with celiac disease can be quite challenging, but with patience and the right kind of guidance, one can easily coexist with this condition.