5 effective home remedies for treating GERD
When we go on a binge eating spree, we do not think of the consequences of the same, and the next morning we repent our callous attitude towards food. Indigestion, nausea, acid reflux, etc. every disorder of the stomach is waiting to afflict you if you don’t watch what you eat. However, these digestive issues can be taken care of with an antacid or proper diet, but a more formidable version of acid reflux, Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), needs more than a plain antacid.
What is GERD?
GERD is a digestive disorder that affects the lower esophagus sphincter (LES), the ring of muscle between the esophagus and the stomach, which causes people to experience heartburn or acid indigestion. GERD is often caused due to low stomach acid, ulcers, dehydration, or diaphragmatic dysfunction, and causes great discomfort until the time it is present.
Usually, people opt for medications to reduce acid reflux, one of the most prominent symptoms of GERD. However, there are instances when these medications do more harm than good, especially when you experience side-effects of the same. In such cases, you can opt for home remedies for the treatment of GERD. Here are some tried and tested natural treatment for GERD.
- Dietary Changes– What we eat has a direct impact on our body and can either protect or make us vulnerable to various disorders. If the individual is already suffering from GERD, an improper diet can cause more damage. So, adopt a diet that does away with processed food and sugars, which are known to aggravate GERD. Instead, add fresh, organic fruits and vegetables to your diet, that wouldn’t make your acid levels go haywire.
- Apple Cider Vinegar– Apple Cider Vinegar is known to possess an array of medicinal properties making it one of the most popular remedies for losing weight, getting rid of acne, curbing digestion-related issues. Apple cider vinegar is the right treatment for GERD since it has a pH level of 5 which reduces the heartburn symptoms by reducing the pH level of the stomach acid to improve digestion.
- Aloe Vera– Aloe Vera is another natural ingredient that has endeared itself to the masses due to its various medicinal properties. People often use aloe vera to soothe their irate skin or simply for a glowing skin. However, aloe vera juice is a popular natural treatment for GERD. Aloe Vera juice works as a cooling agent and can soothe the heartburn that otherwise causes uneasiness and nausea at times.
- Slippery Elm- Usually, people have certain reservations regarding herbal remedies. However, as a treatment for GERD, you can consume the herbal supplement slippery elm in the form of powder or capsule. This herbal supplement is known to reduce acid reflux by soothing the irritated tissues of the digestive tract.
- Baking Soda-Baking soda is one of the easily available treatments for GERD. Though a little unconventional, baking soda is quite effective in reducing heartburn. Since baking soda is a base and not acid, consuming it would neutralize the acid in the stomach. Also, you can put your inhibitions to rest since baking soda is non-toxic and doesn’t have an adverse effect on one’s health.