5 alternative therapies to deal with fibromyalgia effectively
Whenever we suffer from a disease, we go through the following stages- identifying the symptoms, finding the cause of the diseases, and treating the same. It becomes easier in vanquishing a known enemy than an unknown one, and this holds true in almost every scenario. One such health-related problem that has known to affect millions of people across the globe and the cause of which is still debatable is fibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia is the second common health condition that affects the muscles and bones, and thus, inhibits the individual’s movements. The most prominent symptoms are widespread joint and muscle pain, and fatigue. Since these symptoms can be associated with a number of other ailments, diagnosing a person with fibromyalgia is quite a task. However, once the individual is diagnosed with fibromyalgia, the biggest hurdle lies in finding the right form of treatment. Since there is no exact cure for this condition, physicians advise fibromyalgia alternative therapies or treatments that are a combination of exercises, medications, ways to manage stress, and lifestyle changes that can help the patients cope with this condition.
Here are some popular fibromyalgia alternative therapies that have helped people coexist with this condition.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture is one of the oldest forms of treatments that aim at reducing chronic pain caused by wear and tear or any injury. The entire concept of acupuncture is based on ancient Chinese medical practices which believed that acupuncture could rebalance the flow of energy throughout the body. The modern practitioners found this form of treatment conducive to treat fibromyalgia since it increases the blood flow and boosts the production of body’s natural painkillers and is instrumental in reducing fatigue as well.
- 5-HTP: 5-HTP or 5- Hydroxytryptophan is a vital building block of the brain’s chemical serotonin. Low levels of serotonin are usually responsible for depression, and it has been observed that raising the levels of serotonin can improve the individual’s mood, and at the same time, help ease morning stiffness, fibromyalgia pain, anxiety, and insomnia. So, incorporating 5-HTP supplements in the patient’s daily diet is another fibromyalgia alternative treatment method.
- SAMe: S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine or SAMe as it is commonly known as is an amino acid derivative is known to boost the levels of serotonin and dopamine, each of which is instrumental in helping people deal with the repercussions of fibromyalgia. Adding SAMe supplements to one’s daily diet helps patients deal with depression and chronic pain that is usually associated with fibromyalgia.
- Tai Chi: Painkillers and supplements are often used to deal with the pain caused by fibromyalgia, but keeping our body in the optimum form is also essential to reduce the impact of this condition. One such fibromyalgia alternative therapy requires the patients to practice Tai Chi. Tai Chi is an ancient Chinese practice which involves moving our body slowly and gently through a series of different postures. People adhering to this form of exercise have shown improvement in their muscle movements, sleep pattern, and change in the quality of life.
- Massage: Massage is another fibromyalgia alternative treatment method. We are well-aware of how our body relaxes when we get a massage. Massage is the perfect treatment for controlling the symptoms of fibromyalgia since it can dramatically reduce the muscle tension and ease the pain we experience in our muscles and soft tissue.